A special thank you to Automattic for sharing their policies publicly for others to utilize. You can check out more of Automattic has to offer by visiting their website.
What This Policy Covers
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so — for example, to provide our Service and to communicate with you if you have followed the Service by email or WordPress username.
Information You Provide to Us
- Basic account information: An email address is required to follow by email and receive updates about new content being posted.
- Public profile information: If you follow with your WordPress account, your username is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile, like a photo or an “About Me” description.
Information We Collect Automatically
- Usage Data: Usage data may include information such as your device’s IP address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers, and other diagnostic data.
- Location information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
How and Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you for the purposes listed below:
- To place and manage Ads. To place ads on the site as part of the WordAds advertising program and understand ad performance
- To customize the user experience. Knowing what content is popular allows us to create future content that you may find interesting.
- To communicate with you. For example, by emailing you to inform you of any new content being posted.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
How We Share Information
As a reminder, this Service only collects email addresses and previously established WordPress usernames. Simply put, we don’t share your information outside of two very limited circumstances, and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Legal and regulatory requirements: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental requests.
- Aggregated or de-identified information: We may share information that has been aggregated or de-identified so that it can no longer reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Service.
We do not sell our users’ data. We show ads on our site, and the revenue they generate allows us to continue providing free content.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public will be disclosed publicly on this Service. That means information like comments and your “Likes” are all available for others to see on this Service. By posting a comment or liking a post, you are giving this Service consent to share your e-mail address or WordPress Username.
How Long Information is Kept
We generally discard information about you when it’s no longer needed for the purposes for which we collect and use it. For example, if you unsubscribe or unfollow, we will no longer have a record of your data.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so.
Opt-out of Communications
When it comes to information about you and this Service, you may opt-out of receiving communications from us. At the bottom of every e-mail message you receive from the Service, there is a link you can click on to Unsubscribe. Just follow the instructions in those communications.
If you are located in certain parts of the world, including California and countries that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (aka the “GDPR”), you may have certain rights regarding your personal information, like the right to request access to or deletion of your data.
European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are located in a country that falls under the scope of the GDPR, data protection laws give you certain rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to provide California residents with some additional information about the categories of personal information we collect and share, where we get that personal information, and how and why we use it. The CCPA also requires us to provide a list of the “categories” of personal information we collect, as that term is defined in the law, so, here it is. In the last 12 months, we collected the following categories of personal information from California residents, depending on the Services used:
- Identifiers (like your WordPress username, e-mail address, and device and online identifiers);
- Internet activity information (such as your usage of our Service);
- Geolocation data (such as your location based on your IP address);
- Audio, electronic, visual or similar information (such as your profile picture, if you follow the Service with your WordPress account);
- Inferences we make (such as likelihood of retention or attrition).
If you are a California resident, you have additional rights under the CCPA, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the right to:
- Request to know the categories of personal information we collect, the categories of business or commercial purpose for collecting and using it, the categories of sources from which the information came, the categories of third parties we share it with, and the specific pieces of information we collect about you;
- Request deletion of personal information we collect or maintain;
- Opt-out of any sale of personal information; and
- Not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your rights under the CCPA.
The CCPA and Personalized Advertising in WordAds
Contacting Us About These Rights
You can access or delete your personal data by using the Manage Subscriptions and Unsubscribe links provided at the bottom of any e-mail sent by the Service. If for any reason you aren’t able to delete your personal data or you’d like to contact us about one of the other rights, please contact us via email. When you contact us about one of your rights under this section, we’ll need to verify that you are the right person before we disclose or delete anything. For example, if you are a user, we will need you to contact us from the email address associated with your account. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf by giving us written authorization. We may still require you to verify your identity with us.
How to Reach Us